Tuesday, August 7, 2007

no screwups no cry

Our trip home went flawlessly. Ariel was happily admiring some improvements made in her apartment by 2 pm, and Lisa and I were happily admiring the progress of my garden by 5 pm. WBZ kept us out of the crash-related backup on 128 - try that in Peru!

OK, there was a tiny bit of a flaw: there was a short delay in Atlanta because Logan was fogged in. Nothing to get one's shorts in a bunch about. And I had the classic "share part of your seat with an obese American" experience for 3 hours. I chose to find it educational.

Our luggage arrived in good shape. We had a very pleasant Haitian taxi driver on our way to Brighton. After dropping off Ariel, Lisa and I tried a few decent local sources (Concord, Acton) and given our Peruvian education, we determined that decent ingredients for a foodie lifestyle are not quite what they should be (yet) in the U.S. Pastene and Goya are your best friends for beans, and that's just sad. OTOH the computer connectivity here kicks serious ass. :-)

Not to mention American keyboards. And Oh BABY did I miss my Mac!

- Gary

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh did I love my high speed when I arrived home! Posting pictures is a breeze!
Good to hear that you got home safely. As I am finally (I hope) rid of my stomach bug today, I can start to think about our final requirements this week.

Lisa and Kate said...

I started uploading the pics onto the new MAC; it is truly amazing how zippy it is. I could just put all of the pics from the cards onto my computer then pass on the cards to you to do the same on yours. I can't wait to share some of these pics with everyone!

Glad to hear you are feeling better.

Lisa

Gary said...

Oh, whoops, I forgot to explain the inspiration for the post title "no screwups no cry". It was from our great dinner at Mango Restaurant in the (truly unique!) shore mall in Lima, Monday night.

The music playing over the speakers in the restaurant was a (pleasant, though totally lacking in emotional range) female vocalist doing lots-of-synthesizers-and-reverb covers of every Bob Marley hit.

So now you how my mind "works": a twisty little maze of connections, all different.

And that's a REALLY obscure reference. First comment with the correct explanation wins a free entree at Southeast Asian or Mongoose, your choice. Lisa's not eligible, and no fair asking her.  :-)

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso.(If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada.If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).