Sunday, August 5, 2007

July 30th - The Road to Puno

On July 30th we all boarded a First Class tour bus to take the trek down to Puno, the location of Lake Titicaca. Here are some images of what we saw along the way.





Quite coincidentally, the road to Puno is home to the Qewar
Social Project Workshop, which produces dolls. Lisa has purchased some of these dolls during her travels in Vermont. Now she has seen them up close and personal in Peru. Ask her to tell you the full story sometime!



Our photo in the sidebar shows one of the "pigs" (guinea) who are lucky enough to live with Lisa and Gary. The guinea pigs shown here, or "cuy" as they are called in Peru, are being raised to eventually grace someone's plate. The idea that we keep them as "mascots" (read as, "pets") is quite hilarious to the Peruvians we met.







Our lunch-time entertainment. Both the music and food were quite tasty. Even more welcome was the sunshine and warmth!


4 comments:

Claudia said...

The picture of the musicians reminds me of a group that used to play in Harvard Square. If you ever feel nostalgic for the music, I'm sure you could still see them there. Hope all is going well...I KNOW you're still having fun! :-)

Claudia

Lisa and Kate said...

Hey there Claudia. Thanks for all of your comments. We have already bought two CD�s from groups we saw during lunch, one in Chivay and one in Arequipa. Gary, Ariel and I flew back to Lima today and are back at our old hotel. Ariel and I are going back to visit the school for the deaf tomorrow and see it with the kids present.

I�ll speak to you soon--
L

Anonymous said...

hi claudia, lisa, and kate-- i couldnt resist commenting at the mention of the andean(?) musicians in harvardsquare. yes, they still play and i very recently bought a cd from them!
bp

Gary said...

Barbara,

Thanks for your enthusiasm from the U.S. end - yours and others' comments made the trip more fun and more educational in ways that we didn't really expect and I can't really describe. Something along the lines of the "Socratic method": informing by asking (if you get my arcane way of thinking).

We encountered some Andean musicians at First Night in Worcester last 31-Dec (a city-wide fiesta that I greatly enjoy and drag Lisa to when I can). They said they were from Cambridge. I have one of their CDs. We must compare notes - I bet they're the same group. They were terrific... in particular, they brought back the Ecuadorian "cloud forests" for me, by asking the audience to close their eyes and then imitating the sounds of the jungle with their instruments. It was a real "altered consciousness" experience (a la Pink Floyd ;-) for me. Unfortunately they don't have any of that sort of thing on the CD that I bought. But I'd love to own hours of that unique sort of music.